Monday 27 May 2013

Swedish Riots??

I think if a riot broke out anywhere in the World i could accept it but Sweden??
I have been to Sweden many times, beautiful landscapes, marvellous cities and warm and friendly people and i have it in my mind that when i clock out for the last day, whenever that is, i will up sticks and move to the Scandinavian country so to hear that there was five days of rioting is as shocking to me as hearing the Queen belching loudly in the face of an Ambassador.
Part of me wants to just ignore it, pretend it hasn't happened and continue thinking of the Sweden that i have in my minds eye and not the Sweden with riot police, burnt out cars and petrol bombs.
The riots which were touched off on Sunday after police shot dead a 69-year-old man who was reportedly roaming the suburb of Husby, a suburb of Stockholm, with a machete.
Not in Sweden, that was my place to escape to and now the disease that blights everywhere else has arrived there.
It's all so thoroughly depressing.

1 comment:

Liber - Latin for "The Free One" said...
This comment has been removed by the author.