Thursday 28 August 2008

The Celebrity Endorsements

That shy and retiring strumpet Madonna has nailed her colours to the mast with regards to who is not going to get her postal vote in November although lumping John McCain in the same category as Adolf Hitler and Robert Mugabe was a bit over the top. As this shows, enthusiastic endorsements from celebrities can be as embarrassing as they can be helpful to a potential President but the entertainers do like to think that they are helping by lending their name to their hopefuls campaign. Bless 'em.
The Democrats have been easing off the celebrity stardust at their Convention while poor old Sen. McCain is finding Celebrity stardust harder to find.
Obama's celebrity endorsers include Oprah Winfrey, Gwyneth Paltrow, George Clooney, Kanye West, Spike Lee, Susan Sarandon, Jennifer Aniston, Robert DeNiro, Ed Norton, Forest Whitaker, Will Smith, Ben Stiller, Eddie Murphy, Danny Glover, Barry Manilow and of course Madonna.
There is a fine set of actors and actresses in that line-up but what about the celebrities that have jumped on the McCain bandwagon? Admittedly, the list isn't long, but it's the quality and not the quantity that counts which is unfortunate as McCain fails on both counts.
A recent fund-raiser at the Beverly Hills Hilton drew Gary Sinise who i know from Forrest Gump and Of Mice & Men, Superman actor Dean Cain, Jon Voight and Jon Cryer of Pretty in Pink fame.
Sylvester Stallone has come out in favour of the Republican as has Tom Selleck.
On the music front what's left of the Beach Boys are to appear at the Republican convention so that's the Celebrity line ups.
Obama can call on some heavyweight actors but his musical talent is a little, well, rubbish to be honest while McCain will hurt his knuckles scraping the bottom of that particular barrel actor wise but i would take the Beach Boys over a few verses of Mandy or Material Girl anytime.

All together now:
Well since he put me down I've been out doin' in my head
I come in late at night and in the mornin' I just lay in bed
Well, Obama you look so fine
And I know it wouldn't take much time
For you to help me Bama
Because my Rally's fast falling apart
Ba ba ba ba ba ba ba
Help me Bama, Help, help me Bama,..............

6 comments:

Cody Bones said...

He does have Ben Stein though



"Bueller... Bueller.....

Anne said...

Ben Stein...I just threw up a little in my mouth.
.

Falling on a bruise said...

Who is Ben Stein?

Stephen K said...

He's a former Nixon speechwriter, better known in popular culture as the monotone teacher from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Anonymous said...

Do people really care what celebs think? seems so. Obama has been trying to fend them off, I gather!

Falling on a bruise said...

Thanks Stephen. Ferris Buellers Day Off, that brings back some 80s memories although it seems to be mixed up with Pretty in Pink in my mind. I must have watched them both close together at the time.