Sunday 17 June 2007

Internet About To Collapse?

What i know about the inside workings of computers would have to be written in a very large font to even fit onto the head of an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 Dual Core 2.6 GHz CPU.
So when the guy who spent most of Saturday faffing about behind my PC to upgrade my broadband connection mentioned the Internet was soon going to collapsing under its own weight, my first thought was that if he spent less time yakking and hinting for cups of coffee he would of finished hours ago.
My second thought was how to subtly mention he needed a belt so every time he bent over i wasn't greeted by what reminded me of two, very white space hoppers trying to escape his jeans.
Finally, my third thought was could the Internet actually collapse?
Apparently so says so my coffee slurping workman as he yoinked up his trousers yet again.
"Its the Youtube generation" he explained, "All those videos, pictures and MP3's whizzing backward and forwards causing the strain on the hardware."
After he left i sat pondering whether something that was actually designed to survive a nuclear holocaust could actually be bought tumbling down by kids searching for the latest clip of someone making a prat of themselves in front of their web cam.
I decided i would ponder on it some more after searching for Father Ted clips.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I imagine that would be right if there were no infrastructure improvements made. I have no idea who would be responsible for that, though. If it's our government, I guess we're hosed.

Falling on a bruise said...

If it is the guy who was here Saturday nothing will be sorted for at least another 1000 cups of coffee.

O' Tim said...

It's easy - blame it on Al Gore.

Stephen K said...

Sorry I haven't been around much the last few days. I signed up for Facebook recently.

grumpy said...

Well, I've been working with computers since I first got my computer science degree in 1974 and I don't see the prognostication as being reasonable. I have also done quite a bit network management including performance and tuning on LANs, WANs, and even satellite links. But since when did knowledge and experience affect anybody's opinion on the www?