Thursday 10 May 2007

Happy Birthday Mr. Joel

I have a confession to make.
It is with burning shame and a heavy heart that i unburden myself of this load that i bear.
You see, today i admit to knowing almost all the words to almost every Billy Joel song.
With Billy 'Uptown Girl' Joel hitting the big 58 today (Happy Birthday Billy by the way), i feel the time is right to drop any pretense of having cool tastes in music.
In the way of all the best confessionals, i blame my parents. Both were big Joel fans and you could count yourself lucky if you went longer than 10 minutes without hearing a belt of Piano man or It's Still Rock 'n' Roll to me.
A perennial favourite of Supermarkets, i always find myself singing along to his ditties as i price up the Brussels Sprouts.
So there we have it, i have a soft spot for Christie Brinkley's ex-hubby and could probably happily sing along to most of his records.
It could be worse i suppose, my parents could have been Bee Gee fans.

10 comments:

Cody Bones said...

Don't worry about it Lucy, I'm still in love with Neil Diamond. Oh well, it happens.

Paula said...

Neil Diamond's 12 Songs is one of my fave albums ever! Love love love him.

Lucy, ever hear Weird Al's parody "It's Still Billy Joel To Me?" Very funny! (And I like him too.)

Cheezy said...

It's been nice knowing you, Lucy! ;-)

Anonymous said...

" i blame my parents. Both were big Joel fans "

My dad is a Bobby Vinton fan and mom always loved Bobby Goldsboro. Didn't rub off. No excuses for you, young lady.

"i have a soft spot for Christie Brinkley's ex-hubby "

funny, I've always had a hard spot for Christie...... :-)

Falling on a bruise said...

Are your parents to blame for Neil Diamond Cody or was it self inflicted?

I haven't hear the Weird Al song Paula so i will try and hunt it down later.

Be fair Cheezy, i forgave you (almost) for being a Spurs fan.

The only Bobby Goldsboro song i know Joe is 'Honey, I miss you' and it is probably the closest a song has ever come to making me cry. So damn sad.
We will gloss over your hard spot. Which sounds painful.

Cody Bones said...

I think that it might be a combo of my parents, and having a lot of Jewish co-workers for the last 15 years. He is the Jewish Elvis after all, Jelvis.

Stephen K said...

I was kind of into Billy when I was a kid. I had that LP, I think it was called Glass Houses, it had It's Still Rock'n'Roll to Me on it.

Sour Grapes said...

There's nothing wrong with Billy Joe-El, the only top musician ever to come from Krypton. Have those Neil Diamond fans seen Will Ferrell's impersonation? Killer!

Paula said...

I've seen it, SG. I think Jeff K gave me the link. Very funny!

The Fez Monkey said...

Ahem. I honestly don't know what is more disconcerting: your being a Billy Joel fan or your buying Brussels Sprouts.

Both leave a very icky taste in one's mouth, and require copious cleansing.

My shameful music confession is Slade. Yes, ole Noddy rocked. Besides, they were a huge influence on Spinal Tap. Hmmm, on second thought, maybe Slade isn't as shameful as I thought.

Ook ook