Tuesday 10 April 2007

The Rage Music List

Arthur has tagged me, so here's a list of 20 songs I would submit to Rage's be-a-guest-programmer-for-a-night competition if I were given a free run at the archives:

Teenage Kicks - The Undertones
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
November Rain - Guns N Roses
Jesus of Suburbia - Green Day
Black Parade - My Chemical Romance
New Rose - The Damned
Sound Of The Suburbs - The Members
I Don't Want To Grow Up - Ramones
My Sharona - Ramones
The Music that nobody Likes - Carter USM
Sweet Child O Mine - Guns N Roses
Creep - Radiohead
Jeremy - Pearl Jam
Ace of Spades - Motorhead
Anarchy in The Uk - Sex Pistols
My Way - Sid Vicious
Beatsie Boys - Fight For Your Right
One - Metallica
Kids arn't alright - Offspring

The rules specify that I have to justify at least five of these choices. So:
Teenage Kicks - Probably the perfect song with a riff so sharp you could grate cheese on it.
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana started and ended the Grunge thing for me and this song encapsulates the early 90's next generation punk movement.
I Don't Want to Grow Up - Ramones tunes are notoriously easy to play on the guitar but they had some cracking songs and i just like the lyrics to this one.
The Music That Nobody Likes - Carter were the ultimate early 90's punk band. Came from nowhere, gained notoriety by punching a music host live on TV and disappeared again. Brilliant lyrics, buzz saw guitars and some mighty fine angry punk songs.
Sweet Child O Mine - Guns N Roses just seemed to self destruct but it was always about Slash for me and this riff is incredibly hard to replicate but shows why he is regarded, in my eyes, as the greatest guitar player i have ever heard.

I am now tagging fellow punk fans Cody, The Intolerant One and Fez Monkey.

6 comments:

Stephen K said...

I didn't know The Ramones did a version of My Sharona. Interesting.

Love Radiohead. Sheer genius. Creep is a great song, and it made them famous, but if I could choose one of theirs, it would be something from OK Cumputer, probably Paranoid Android.

Arthur_Vandelay said...

Black Parade - My Chemical Romance

The emo! It burns!

The Fez Monkey said...

Ahhhhh ... this is what you meant by being tagged!

Duh

Ook ook

Falling on a bruise said...

Chem Romance are more Emu then Emo.

Don said...

Good list, though I'd be tempted to switch in Smells Like Nirvana by Weird Al and see who notices, and also would rather enjoy having anything by the Beastie Boys deleted forever from every file server on the planet, but other'n that ... and did the Ramones really cover My Sharona or did you just lose your Knack?

Cheezy said...

Lucy - you're probably all over this already, but just in case you're not...

"Carter USM will get together for one last time on Fri 2nd November 2007 at London's Brixton Academy. This is to celebrate twenty years since they got together and ten years since they split. They promise to perform 'all the hits and all the favourites'. The gig will be performed as the orginal two-piece."