Monday 19 February 2007

Tagged For Quotes

AV has tagged me for my 5 favourite quotes so in no particular order:

I may be drunk, but tomorrow morning I shall be sober, and you will still be ugly by the old woman hating alcoholic, Winston Churchill.

I hate those men who would send into war youth to fight and die for them; the pride and cowardice of those old men, making their wars that boys must die.
Writer Mary Roberts Rinehart sums up my thoughts on War totally.

I may be as likely to believe in the teachings of the Bible as i am as likely to grow a goatee and call myself Cecil, but this quote is something we should all aspire to -
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind. from the nappy wearing Indian, Mahatma Gandhi

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever. A Chinese Proverb that an old lecturer had pinned above his board.


I would of loved to include some Groucho Marx, his brother Karl Marx, Jean Jacques Rosseau or George Orwell but these five are goodies.

9 comments:

Deadman said...

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

The version I like better is

"Do not unto others what is hateful to yourself".

The first version has more of a proselytizing bent to it whereas the latter is a little more "live and let live" in spirit.

SacramentoVoice said...

good start, love to see the other ones.

And when are you going to put a pic of your self up? like your old blog

Paula said...

I'm partial to Emerson's "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." I use it to rationalize all my flip-flops. ;)

Jodie Kash said...

"I don't want to sell anything, buy anything or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought or processed, or repair anything sold, bought or processed. You know, as a career - I don't want to do that."

Lloyd Dobbler, Say Anything

Stephen K said...

"Since Auschwitz we know what man is capable of. And since Hiroshima we know what is at stake" - Viktor Frankl

Falling on a bruise said...

mark - i actually think yours is better and i would probably of used it if i had known it beforehand.

sacremento - Glad to see you are still around. I keep meaning to dig out a picture for here, maybe i can use my work pass one that makes me look like a heroin addict.

Deadman said...

Lucy - Thanks. It's a slight variation on the teaching of Rabbi Hillel:

"Another significant statement in Judaism concerning the Ethic of reciprocity is uttered by Hillel the Elder (Talmud, Shabbat 31a) as the essence of Judaism (literally worded "on one foot").

"A certain heathen came to Shammai and said to him, "Make me a proselyte, on condition that you teach me the whole Torah in the time I can stand on one foot." Thereupon he repulsed him with the rod which was in his hand. When he went to Hillel, Hillel said to him, 'What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor: that is the whole Torah; all the rest of it is commentary; go and learn." (Talmud, Shabbat 31a)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethic_of_reciprocity#Judaism

We can each of us certainly aspire to abide by it in our daily dealings. I know I have fallen woefuly short of the mark in recent memory. As they say, "Progress, not perfection". Namaste.

Falling on a bruise said...

We are all a work in progress Mark. Wow, that sounds quite deep, i may have to use that next time i want to appear thoughtful.

Deadman said...

"We are all a work in progress Mark."

Quite right, whether we can admit that fact to each other is a horse of a different color, isn't it?

:o)>